Plympton Town Green Decoration Policy
The Plympton Historical Commission (PHC), at the request of the Board of Selectmen (BOS), serves as overseer of any physical decoration to the Plympton Town Green or its structures. The following outlines the process and requirements.
- Applicant must complete and submit the Plympton Town Green Decoration Request Form to provide PHC with contact information, a detailed description of the decoration, its placement and the duration of display.
- Requests for decoration must be heard by PHC at a regularly scheduled meeting* at least 30 days prior to the installation of decorations. Applicant should contact PHC to be placed on the agenda.
- PHC will evaluate and vote on the request based on decoration's compatibility with the historical character of the town green. PHC may stipulate changes or place conditions on the request. Applicant's acceptance of the request's approval as amended will signal their agreement to said changes or conditions. A decision regarding the request will typically be made at the same meeting, though PHC reserves the right to continue the request.
- Decoration must be removed by the date set forth by PHC. Failure to remove decoration by that date may result in removal by PHC and could impact future requests.
- Applicant may not affix decorations in a manner that would damage the physical or natural landscape or impede safety.
- PHC may refer applicant's request to BOS for comment and guidance.
- If an event permit is required, it is the applicant's responsibility to see that appropriate approval by BOS is obtained and that all conditions of that approval are met.
- Decoration not approved through the above-referenced process will be removed and reasonable attempts will be made to return such decoration to the owner.
- In certain circumstances, PHC may designate one or more members to act as its representative and may waive one or more of the requirements noted above.
For questions regarding this policy or to schedule a meeting with PHC, please contact Jon Wilhelmsen (781) 582-1305 or Max West (781) 585-1544.
*Should the second Monday be a holiday, PHC's regularly scheduled meeting is the following evening, unless otherwise posted.